Tuesday 2 December 2008

Why is information security so boring?

First of all, welcome to my blog! I hope that you will enjoy the things I write about and I look forward to any discussion. This is my first attempt to blog in English and I hope that any Swenglish (English and Swedish) will pass unnoted...
I have to admit that I sometimes lie about what I do for a living. Telling that I work with Information Security often gets people to change the subject of the discussion very fast. (According to my wife Anna it is also a proof that I am not as funny as I think…but that is beside the point). Sometimes it is fun to say that I work with something really exiting such driving a bus or selling shoes, but then again it would be nice if someone actually cared.
I think that we in the industry partly can be blamed for this, every time there is issue…we call for another four-letter abbreviation that no one outside our small circle of experts actually understand, or we just say NO to any proposal that comes up…for security reasons.
I read somewhere that communication only exists if the receiver actually understands what the senders say…and we in the IT Security space do “send” a lot.
In this blog I will try to make security interesting for people outside the IT Security Industry. The ones that really should care, because it is their data we are trying to protect.

No comments: