Thursday 19 February 2009

I attended a security conference in Brussels today

As always some of the most interesting topics where discussed at the lunch break and as a result I came away with some interesting thoughts. The first one made me feel slightly old...
Thought 1: The change in technology has changed the concept of privacy. I can actually relate to this as I and my teenage daughter has very different views on privacy. We had a discussion in our family about having a family "web page" and I strongly opposed that. I do not want to share everything I do with my family with people I do not know. Then came Facebook..which is my daughters lifeline to her friends where she share pictures and thoughts about everything...and chatting away with her friends in a way that I would never do. My daughter has adjusted her sense of privacy according to the change in technology much better then what I have done. For us in the security business this change of view will change how we develop products and how we build processes for security. Today many companies and organisation solves the issue by simply prohibit people from using Facebook at work. I wonder if the younger generation will accept that or will they take their talent and their skills to a company that makes it possible for them live their "cyber life" the way they are used to?
Thought 2: During the conference someone claimed that a study amongst the 100 biggest organisations in Europe 80% of data breaches where due to so called super-users. Examples of super-users where CEO:s and other managers. Talk about leading by example... If this is true (and I have no reason to expect that is not) we that work with security has failed...We need to get the message across that security breaches cost money and that companies can go down the drain if the XXX hits the fan. We need to stop talking about security in technical terms and start talking in a way that makes good-will sensitive number crunches understand what we talk about.

No comments: