Tuesday 2 June 2009

How boring is IT-Security?

I had some friends over for dinner a couple of weeks ago and for some odd reason we started to talk about my blog. The verdict was that is had to be good...as they did not understand a word about anything I wrote. I have to admit I was a little but surprised because I want to think that I write about things that people should understand...as it concerns everybody. My wife gave me the simple (but fairly cruel) answer...IT Security as a dinner discussion is very very boring for 99.999% of the worlds population. It is such a boring subject that next time I bring it up..she will force me to bed without dessert. So why is IT-Security such a boring subject? I am not boring; my friends in the industry are not boring (at least we do not think so). I do not have the answer but maybe security is boring because we do not think it is that important. We actually believe that the threat is un-real and that the makers of software do a decent job to protect us. Therefore we who work in the industry are troublesome whistleblowers who try to make a dollar by scaring honest people to buy stuff they do not need. I wish it were true. I am open to any suggestion how to make IT Security more interesting for people outside the industry..at least that would make my dinner parties more interesting.

2 comments:

Franco said...

Well Göran, most detailed things are boring for people non-dedicated to the matter. How many times have you been talking about the safety enhance cars did, going from wire brakes to oil pressure brakes? Or have you ever discussed why ASSA locks of newer models have less security than older models? Two security matters that actually could kill any dinner. Security cant be sexy, its too much bundled with seriosity. And we actually want the discussion to be serious...dont we? But I still belive that the security area would benefit of loud envagelists, instead of loud security talibans.

Goran Marby said...

That was a very good point...but security is also something that should concern most people.