Tuesday 9 June 2009

Who is responsible if the shit hits the fan?

I am often invited by companies to act as a bridge between the IT department and the higher management. That is not always easy..the management seems to think that IT people likes new toys to play with...and IT people seems to think that management does not understand the importance of IT. A way of getting around the discussion is to play the responsibility game. I start by asking what the worst thing that could happen would be. Usually that is that the company does something that hurts a 3-party...and then gets sued for it. I did this when I talked to a CEO about cloud computing...and I really enjoyed when he realised that he could never delegate the responsibility just because he outsourced his applications. That CEO is now very much involved in all discussions regarding outsourcing and cloud computing. I call it the go-to-jail factor.

No comments: