Wednesday 2 September 2009

Reality versus hype

I read an study today about customers willingness to adopt "the cloud". In the study only 8% where ready to make the move. The others had concerns about security, integrity and costs. I think this proves that the IT industry has matured, people now understand that they need to analyse the consequences of implementing new technologies. I think this is good..being tired of all hypes that vendors have sold to their customers over the years...with the result that a lot of money and energy has been lost on immature or useless products.

1 comment:

Gilles Gravier said...

Or maybe they fail to realize that cloud computing is nothing much more than outsourcing your IT processes... and... wait... we've been doing that for years!

The real difference is that it's much more dynamic. You can move stuff outside faster that you can spell "cloud security". But from a security perspective, you still have the same issues to tackle :

1) Do I trust my outsourced / cloud services provider?

2) What are the SLAs regarding securities?

3) What is the liability of the provider in case of a breach of security?

And, more importantly, would I have done a better job of securing the stuff if it was hosted in my datacenter? What would it cost me to build a datacenter with as much security as what my outsourced services provider has?

The cool thing? Securing remote access to your applications and data is easy. Look above on this page, right after the words "CEO of" and you have the name of the solution to do that. :)